Ryan and I celebrated our 8 years of togetherness last Tuesday. This was from the time we both decided to be in a boyfriend-girlfriend relationship. He was my first and I am his last.
We had 8 beautiful, thriving years. Through the years, as i learned to know more of him (he still surprise me 🙂 ) I also learned more about keeping a strong, healthy and happy relationship.
Here are the lessons ( it think worth sharing) i learned for the past 8 years:
1. Embrace your differences. Ryan is an introvert i am a total extrovert – and a lot more differences (this can be on another post) but I have to respect who he is and he should also respect who i am. Respect is the beginning of a harmonious relationship.
2. Men will never understand us (women) so it’s better to speak (not nag!) -and say NO to silent treatment!
3. Let him surprise you and lavish you if he can! (and vice versa)
4. Speak blessing, words of encouragement on a sincere manner. (not flattery!) Always ensure that your man knows you believe in him, and you’re there to support him on all his noble (yup! just the noble ones!) endeavours.
5. Follow the “first rule”: if someone is on a bad, sad or negative mood, the other person should not engage on the same emotion no matter what it takes.
6. As much as possible, don’t throw your garbage to your partner. If you’re disappointed at work, to someone or to the movies ending (what??) don’t spoil the day, the mood or conversation by blurting it out to your partner. Ensure that you have a solution or at least you’re already calm when you discuss those problems, or issues with him/her. But i hope you’ll make sure it’s not before bed time… or on a weekend trip… or on your dinner date… or… gets?
7. Dream together.
8. Pray always. not just during the tough times, but at ALL times!
At the end of the day, we all would want our relationships to last. I guess these 8 Lessons are not just for lovers but for whatever relationship we have (parents, friends, siblings).
What about you? any lessons learned?